On the east side of the island, Amerindian remains can be seen on rock carvings near Hermitage (look for a sign on the road) and at an archaeological dig near the old Pearls airport. Apparently it’s so unprotected that lots of artefacts have been stolen. The airport is worth a quick visit to see the two old Cuban and Russian planes and the duty-free shop, a ghost town, although the runway is well used for cricket, biking and social encounter in general.
An excursion can be made to Lake Antoine with, nearby, the River Antoine Rum Distillery, driven by a water mill, the oldest in the Caribbean (guided tours, T4427109). The only modern equipment is the lock for government control. Try the 151° proof rum, they sell all by the bottle. The Dunfermline Rum Distillery can also be visited. There are no organized tours but the staff will show you around and explain the process.
Grenville is the main town on the east coast and capital of St Andrew’s Parish, the largest parish in Grenada with a population of about 25,000. It is a collection point for bananas, nutmeg and cocoa, and also a fishing port. You can tour the Nutmeg Cooperative Processing Station, US$1, with samples of nutmeg and mace (tip the guide). There are some well-preserved old buildings, including the Court House, Anglican Church, police station and Post Office. Saturday is market day, worth seeing. Weavers turn palm fronds into hats, baskets and place mats.
The Rainbow City Festival is held here at the beginning of August, with arts and crafts displays, street fairs, cultural shows and a 10 km road race. Funds are being raised to restore and convert the old Roman Catholic church into a library, museum, art gallery and cultural centre. Construction of the church began in 1841 and was used as a church until 1915, when mosquitoes finally triumphed over worshippers. From 1923-1972 it was used as a school, but then abandoned.
Two miles south of Grenville are the Marquis Falls, also called Mount Carmel Falls, the highest in Grenada. Trails are being improved, with signposts and picnic areas. Marquis village was the capital of St Andrew’s in the 17th and 18th centuries. Nowadays it is the centre of the wild pine handicraft industry. Historical sites nearby are Battle Hill and Fort Royal. From here boats go to Marquis Island.