Although called Ouanalao by the Caribs, the island was renamed after Christopher Columbus’ brother, Saint-Barthélémy when discovered in November 1496. It was first settled by French colonists from Dieppe in 1645. After a brief possession by the Order of the Knights of Malta, and ravaging by the Caribs, it was bought by the Compagnie des Iles and added to the French royal domain in 1672.
In 1784, France ceded the island to Sweden in exchange for trading rights in the port of Göteborg. In 1801, St Barts was attacked by the British, but for most of this period it was peaceful and commercially successful. The island was handed back to France after a referendum in 1878.
More . . .
St. Bart's, as it's called, is eight square miles and just a short air hop from the island of St. Martin. But it's worlds away. Where it is...
* Air Caraibes.
* Air Guadeloupe.
* Air St. Barthelemy.
* Air St. Thomas.
* Windward Islands Airways....
* Banque Francaise Commerciale.
* Banque Nationale de Paris.
* Credit Agricole.
* Credit Martiniquais.
St. Barthelemy (or St. Barts) lies 125 miles northwest of Guadeloupe and 15 miles southeast of St. Martin. The total land area...
Restaurants available-French and Creole. Asian and Italian also available.
Entertainment available includes-Wine Bars....
In St. Barthelemy (St. Barts) [Main Official]:
Office du Tourisme / St. Barthélemy Tourist Office
B.P. 113, Gustavia...
Saint-Barthelemy (St Barts or St Barth’s), in the Leewards, has lush volcanic hillsides and 32 splendid white sandy beaches, most of which...