There is no public transport on the island but cars and taxis can be hired. Driving is on the right, but some roads are so narrow you have to pass where you can. To hire a car you need a driving licence from your own country or an international driver’s licence. Watch out for cows, donkeys, goats and sheep roaming around freely. They are a traffic hazard. The speed limit is 50 km (31 miles) per hour and in residential areas it is 30 km (19 miles) per hour.
Mopeds are also available for hire. Taxi drivers are well-informed guides and can arrange excursions, although most places are within walking distance if you are energetic (less than 30 mins’ walk airport to town). Airport to town is US$4, most other trips US$2-4 per person. An island tour costs US$40 for 4 people, US$7 for every additional passenger.
- Brown’s, T82266, F82454, US$45 per day including tax and insurance, weekend deals
- Rainbow, T82811, F82586, US$35 plus US$5 CDW
- Walkers, T82719, US$35 plus tax and insurance
- ARC, T82595, F82594, US$35 plus tax and insurance, near airport
- Lady Ama’s Services, T82451, F82572, US$30-45, 5% surcharge on day rates
- Avis, T82421/82303, F82285, US$40 per day, US$35 second day (CDW is US$7.50 per day, US$50 per week)
- Co-Rentals, T82941, F82940, US$35 per day, 5% surcharge insurance and gasoline
- R/DSON Jeep Rental, T82149, US$30 per day, US$180 per week. Try Lopes Car Rental, T82291, for cars, motor bikes, scooters and donkey carts. Scooters also from Dive Statia, T82435, F82539
More . . .
Winair has several daily 20-min flights from St Maarten (US$80 return) connecting with flights from the USA, Europe and other islands....
Fax and cablegrams at Landsradio, Van Tonningenweg. Open Mon-Fri, 0730-1930, Sat, Sun 1200-1800, pay phone on the wall...
Two easy and interesting day trips from St. Maarten.
Saba has a few small hotels and less than a dozen restaurants. Visitors are captured...
* Windward Island Airways (from St. Maarten).
SAB-Juancho E Yrausquin Airport.
* Barclays Bank PLC.
* Commercial bank.
Monday to Friday 0830-1230.
Monday to Friday 0800-...
Saba is 5 sq miles, rising 2,900 ft above sea level The capital is The Bottom. 172 miles east of Puerto Rico and 90 miles east...
Trail from windward side up the 1,064 steps to the crest of the central volcano, Mt. Scenery. Botanical hike of Saba Botanito...